2017 was packed full of all the best things. Here are some of my favorite highlights:
– In 2017, my job took me to Colorado, Utah, Kansas, Texas, Chicago, Indiana, California, and of course all throughout my home state of Oklahoma. Wow.
– Including second shooting, I photographed over 25 weddings this year. That’s kind of insane to think about when I had only started second-shooting in November 2016. Weddings scared me, and for the longest time, I swore I would never shoot them. But then, as I started assisting other photographers on wedding days, I quickly realized I was in love with it. Yes, it can be stressful and it’s a lot of pressure, but nothing compares to being a part of such magnificent moments, capturing details and memories, and telling such beautiful love stories. Now I’m shooting my own weddings full-time and loving the heck out of it.
– I also shot my first proposal this year, along with 10+ engagement and adventure sessions, including engagement photos for my best friend of eight years (one of the more emotional and wonderful experiences of my career!).
– I gotta give a special shout-out to my photographer babe, Emily Watkins. Emily’s a professional photographer here in Oklahoma and a wedding veteran (she rocks it every time!). We got connected through the wonders of social media and she asked me to start second-shooting her weddings with her. Over a dozen weddings later, the knowledge, learning, and experience I’ve gained from working with her has been crazy invaluable. Emily has taught me so much about photography, running a business, connecting with people, and just life in general. I would never have been so equipped and prepared to shoot weddings without her! I can’t wait to rock some bomb 2018 weddings with this girl.
– Perhaps the adventure highlight of 2017 was my solo road trip to Colorado and Utah. I spent over a week exploring these two gorgeous states, falling in love with the desert and satisfying my mountain-soul. It was refreshing and stretching and joyful and exactly what I needed. I stayed in amazing Airbnb’s, got to know so many incredible people along the way, got trapped in a flash flood in Moab, and shot 5 adventure sessions with some amazing couples. (Three of them have been blogged! Check them out here, here, and here.) Hands-down one of the best things I’ve ever done. Solo traveling is hard and lonely and scary at times, but it’s such an invigorating challenge and empowering experience.
– I traveled to the Windy City and spent a few cold, rainy, coffee-filled days exploring with the one and only Sarah Kriner and the equally wonderful Essie Jane. Sarah and I then made our way back to Indianapolis to shoot the dreamiest wedding together. It was a fantastic trip full of the best food, weird Uber experiences, creating photographs, Stranger Things, and toast. Really just a lot of toast.
– I saw one of my favorite bands, Judah + the Lion in concert for the first time. This is worth mentioning because they were INSANE and INCREDIBLE and I LOVE THEM.
– My brother introduced me to his friend Michael, and then his friend Michael became my friend Michael, and now my friend Michael is my boyfriend Michael. He’s hilarious and sassy and pretty dang amazing. And two of our favorite things to do together are eat pizza and watch The Great British Baking Show. Solid.
– Courtesy of said boyfriend Michael who decided I had lived in ignorance long enough, I watched the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit trilogies for the first time. We’re currently working on Harry Potter, also for my first time!
– In November, my pal Emily Watkins and I traveled to Palm Springs, California to attend the Gathering Workshop for photographers. Hands-down the best investment I’ve ever made for my business. I spent three days learning from some of the most talented photographers and storytellers, making new friends, and creating images I’m proud of. It was incredible.
– While in Palm Springs, we were able to explore the breathtaking Joshua Tree National Park. It is now on my list of top five favorite places on earth. I love that place so dang much and plan to revisit as many times as possible.
2017, you were amazing in ways I never could have imagined. I can’t wait to see what adventures, weddings, and new friends 2018 will hold. Here are some of my favorite images, moments, and details from the year. Cheers!